Dear Parents

Welcome to Lucy Cook who started this week. We hope she and her family enjoy their time at Sacred Heart School.

Next week is the last week of the term. It has been a very busy term beginning with our school production and ending with a number of class liturgies. I wish to thank all our parent community for your help and support this term.

Writing Meeting  ~  A big thanks to the parents who were able to attend this meeting last night. Also thank you to Mrs Buxton for organising and running this.

Kia Ora koutou

Hello to everyone

Sacred Heart School and Parish are running an 8 week Sacramental Programme through October and November – primarily for the parents of children receiving Sacraments for the first time, but open to everyone from the Sacred Heart Parish or wider community. The course is based on Vaughan Smith’s excellent series of two books, but this shortened course will only cover 8 chapters – dealing with what a Sacrament is, how they relate to scripture, and what they mean for us as Christians. This course will cover Baptism, Confirmation and the Eucharist – so it is ideally suited for parents of children celebrating the Sacraments for the first time.

Each course segment will be held in the evenings, just once a week, and only for 60-90 minutes. It is not an instructional course – but rather a chance for participants to learn what scripture says about the Sacraments, and then have open discussion about their meanings in our modern lives.  The course is not compulsory – but as a parent of children (now at Verdon) who not so long ago were beginning their own initiation into the Sacramental programme, I personally found the course both enlightening and motivating.  It provided me answers not only for my own children’s questions, but also deepened my own understanding of my personal faith. I would thoroughly recommend it for anyone even remotely interested in deepening their own relationship with God – Christian or non.

The course consists of about 8 pages of reading once a week, and then answering 10 questions, and sharing those answers with fellow attendees in an open and friendly environment.  There is no such thing as a wrong answer, and the real gold is in the discussion. I will be facilitating the course as leader – but my role is more as a guide than a teacher.  If you are not sure, and simply would like more information – feel free to ring (215 6783) in the evenings, and I’d be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns.

Because we do need to get books printed – I’d like to get a reasonable idea of numbers by Thursday 24th September.  We’re looking at starting week commencing the 28th September – date, time and venue to be advised.  If you could signal interest to Nicola Winders OR Father Tony OR myself as soon as possible, I’d be very grateful.

Hei kōnā mai

Goodbye and thanks

Paul Brooks

Sacred Heart Parish and Board.

Enrolments  ~  Please let us know of any prospective enrolments or pre-schoolers. We are also looking for parents who can check that the local preschools and kindergartens have copies of our school prospectus. Please contact Christine if you can help.

Holiday Programmes  ~  Check out the notice board in the junior corridor for programmes on in the holidays.

OSCAR ~ Cream Bottles / Lego  ~  OSCAR have a request for any clean 500ml cream bottles with lids and also any Lego than can be donated. If you can help, these can be left in the box at the school office. Many thanks.

Invercargill & Districts Budget Advisory Service (Inc)

We are a not-for-profit organisation offering free and confidential budgeting advice for families and individuals living in Invercargill and the surrounding districts.  We are once again looking for new volunteer advisors.  If interested please phone 0800 366 387 or www.invbudget.org.nz

Faith Facts ~ Exaltation of the Holy Cross: The feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross celebrates two historical events: the discovery of the True Cross by Saint Helena, the mother of the Emperor Constantine, in 320 under the temple of Venus in Jerusalem, and the dedication in 335 of the basilica and shrine built on Calvary by Constantine, which mark the site of the Crucifixion. The basilica and the shrine were destroyed in 614 however the Church of the Holy Sepulchre now stands on the site and was built in 1149.

However the feast, more than anything else, is a celebration and commemoration of God’s greatest work: his salvific death on the Cross and His Resurrection, through which death was defeated and the doors to Heaven opened.

Altar Servers

Saturday 19 September 7.00 pm           Summer Smith & Maiya Tagomoa-Kaa

Sunday 20 September 10.30am            Aidan Dudfield & Max Forde

Children’s Liturgy                                       Megan Roulston

Basketball Results

Jazz won 24 – 0. POD was Ruby Duffy

Magic lost 24 – 4. POD was Cole Robertson

Grizzlies won 27 – 3. POD was Matthew Winter

Bucks lost 12 – 8. POD was Dylan Hawkes

Sonics drew 12 – 12. POD was Megan Sullivan

Riding for the Disabled

“Step by step, a Southland boy has grown in confidence at Riding For the Disabled (RDA).

Conna, who is supported by Pact Southland, has been riding Teal each week at RDA. Conna started slowly – it was only in the fifth session he actually rode the horse.

Although appearing very excited for RDA when Pact Southland support worker Kelly Mills picked him up for his first few sessions, Conna became anxious and adamant that he would just brush the horses and pick up manure rather than get up on a horse. For those first sessions he patted the horse, led it around and worked shovelling manure. There was no pressure on Conna to get on the horse, but he showed curiosity from the start and the more he got to know Teal, the more interested he became to get on. Kelly says lead RDA instructor Dot Muir built a good relationship with Conna and challenged him to get up on Teal. After being too anxious to get on the horse as planned in week three, in week four he led the horse by himself and made a “pinkie promise” with a volunteer to get on the horse the following week. Sure enough, on week five (albeit slightly teary-eyed at first) he got up.

“Once up,” says Kelly, “Smiles for Africa. He even asked his horse-leading person to go past me for a photo.” Kelly has been impressed with the confidence Conna has shown – even after a three-week break after week five, Conna was up on Teal within 10 minutes of leading him around. He was all smiles and even road backwards! The following week, he handled a change of horse well. He was anxious because the new horse was a bit more cheeky and playful (and he prefers Teal), but he was all smiles anyway. Kelly says Conna has exceeded all of his expectations with his progress at RDA and he can’t wait to see what the term brings. “

Picture1 

School Disco – Thursday 24 SeptemberThe PTA school disco for the children is next Thursday.

Years 1-3 are from 6:00  – 7:00pm, and Years 4 – 6 will be from 7:00 – 8:00 pm. Drinks $1, chips 50c and lollies 50c will be available.

Also a variety of glow toys will be for sale 50c to $3

Gold coin entry fee please.

Room 2 Class Happenings 

Room 2 have been reading about Elmer the Elephant. He is a unique, one of a kind elephant. We have been talking about what makes us unique and this is what we think.

Elmer the elephant is unique because he has the rainbow colours.  I am unique because I can do big jumps on my scooter.  Leo A

Elmer the elephant is unique because he is different from other elephants.  I am one of a kind because I can help Mum do the luxing.  I lux with her.  I am good at reading.  I love myself.  Maddison

Elmer the elephant is unique because he is helpful.  I am unique because I play with people nicely and I am good at playing on the playstation.  Leo D

Elmer the elephant is unique because he is colourful.  I am unique because I am good at being kind to Harper.  Ella

Elmer the elephant is unique because he makes people laugh.  I am unique because I am nice to my friends and I let them use my toys.  Jesse

Elmer the elephant is unique because he is kind.  I am unique because I love my Mum, I love my Dad, I love Jesse and I love Me.  I am good at playing with Taya.  Baylee

Elmer the elephant is unique because he is colourful.  I am unique because I look after kids.  Ollie

Elmer the Elephant is unique because he has rainbow colours on him.  I like being Sean and I’m good at being a good friend because I play with friends at school when they are lonely.  Sean

I am unique because I am good at playing hide and seek with Baylee and Leanne.  Taya

I am unique because I am good at looking after Penelope.  Leanne

I am unique because I am good at playing with Maddie.  Lucy

I am unique because I am good at eating all my dinner.  Charlotte

I am unique because I am good at helping people.  Morgan